Do you have a conditioner sitting around that you’re not using, but can’t be returned for one reason or another? Maybe you got it too long ago, maybe the return policy at the store isn’t great. Here are some ideas to help you use them up!
Curly Girl Friendly Conditioners
These are conditioners that are still safe for you to use, but you just don’t love and never find yourself reaching for it. Before you use it one of these ways though, feel free to see if you can sell it or trade it on a swap site first!
1. Use it as a pre-poo or hair mask. You can use it as a pre-poo alone, or mix it with a few add-ins to make it a deep condition and dirty deep condition. The add-ins to make it a deep conditioner would depend on what’s already in the conditioner and what your hair needs. Add some honey, oil, yogurt, or even shea butter to turn into into what you need!
2. Co-wash with it. If it’s not too heavy, go ahead and use it as a co-wash before applying a conditioner that you love as your regular.
3. Mix it with water in a spray bottle. How concentrated depends on what you want to do with it! Does it have good slip? Dilute it a lot to use it as a detangler. Dilute it a little less as a leave in conditioner. Dilute it as much as makes sense for your hair for when you refresh. This is also a great way to use up the last little bit of conditioner in the bottle when you have one that you don’t want to waste a single drop of!
Have left over conditioner from before going CG? Or even if you’re not CG, but there’s just a conditioner that you don’t love- what else can you do with it?
1. Shave with it. Conditioner actually makes a great shaving lotion.
2. Use it as fabric softener. 2 parts hair conditioner, 3 parts white vinegar, and 6 parts water. Then just use like you would store bought fabric softener- for most machines there’s a well for fabric softener.
3. Add it to your bathwater for some extra moisture. Bubble bath can be drying. So if you have a conditioner that smells great, take a soak in it!
4. Use it as a makeup remover. Please be careful around your eyes with something like this! Massage it in on dry skin, the way you would a cleansing oil, and then follow up with your regular face wash and it’ll be clean without being overly drying.
Hopefully this helps you clear out your growing stockpile!
2 Replies to “What to do with conditioners that aren’t working for you”
Or use it on your kid. xD