Hair is hair, right? That’s what I thought before I figured out my hair was curly and then my mind was blown by how much I didn’t know about hair. Whether you’re new to being curly or just wanting to understand better, here’s your first look at understanding hair.
Before I get too far into this post 2 things I want to touch on:
1. I’m using this post as a way to link to more in depth information so that it’s not all on one page and overwhelming.
2. I’m not a trichologist, chemist, etc. But I have done my best to understand the science behind it and wanted to give you a simplified version of info I’ve collected from over multiple resources. Trusted resources include Wendy of the Science-y Hair Blog, web series with Dr. Walker of Earthtones Naturals on Krista Leavitt’s Youtube, and Verna. Since I’m digesting information and spitting back out in ways that I think make sense I can’t always credit just one source (though I make conscious efforts to try to if I’m going to directly quote someone)- but I do highly recommend all of these of these if you want to do a deeper dive into the science.
In case you were wondering why you may want to know anything about hair- your hair type, texture, and density will play into what styles may suit you best and your haircare routine. For example, if you go into a stylist with a picture of a haircut that you love, you may be very disappointed with the results if your density is entirely different.
People who are middle of the road in these things- medium density, medium texture, medium porosity- I apologize in advance that most of my info is just going to say “somewhere in between the other extremes.”
The Curly Girl Method seems like a lot of effort. Why go through the trouble?
I actually wrote a post called “Why go CG?” Check it out!
I have no idea what people are talking about. HELP!
Here are some of the common questions and the links to answer:
– What is my curl type/pattern?
– What is porosity and why does it matter?
– What’s the difference between texture and density?
– Ugh! So much lingo. Help!
I have some ideas. What products should I use?
Well, it depends on your hair. If your hair is moisture loving, you’ll probably appreciate some of my favorites! If it’s protein loving, I have some listed on my budget buys– but I can definitely give some other suggestions as well if you need them.
I have the products and the information. Now I need to style it!
– I finally posted my wash day routine! It includes how I style my medium/high density hair. I know it’s a lot in one video, so I will break it down into more digestible pieces for you in the near future.
– But in the meanwhile, I did post how I finger coil my wavy hair which can be done on wash day.
– Unless my hair really needs a lot of work, I usually just refresh my hair like this.
Phew! That’s a lot of info. Is there anything else that you think is a must for this section as a quick start guide? Let me know in the comments below!